UT is entering another dimension

UT is training students for 3D production with the start of UT3D — a comprehensive three-semester course that will provide radio-television-film majors with a hands-on experience with cutting edge technology. 

It is the first of its kind in the nation. Students enrolled in the course will have access to the Moody Theatre, and with that, the chance to work with Austin City Limits shows. A major selling point for the program is the fact that Hollywood veterans Buzz Hays and Dave Drzewiecki, who both have decades of experience, will be teaching the course. Recently they have worked on the setting of “The Great Gatsby” and “Life of Pi.” 

Don Howard, radio-television-film associate professor and director of the UT3D program, said of 100 applicants only 40 were allowed into the class. The application process to this program will only allow 20 spots available next year.

“We are looking for students with a wide background in production and a wide interest in 3-D production,” Howard said. 

Drzewiecki said although 3-D entertainment may have started as a fad, updated technology has improved the ability of directors to express their vision. Drzewiecki said past implementation has been subpar because earlier technology was unable to tap into the possibilities that 3-D offers. 

“New film projection devices have captivated a generation and turned it into a whole different ball game,” Drzwiecki said. “It’s going to stick around now. My goal is to educate the new generation on the potential.”

Drzewiecki said though the technology is more readily available, it should not be used as a crutch for filmmakers.

“It’s a distinct entity and should only be utilized when it’s appropriate relative to the vision of the director,” Drewiecki said.

Hays said the tides of fashion appear to be in favor of 3-D technology, 

“You’re seeing some TV companies introduce product lines that are mostly 3-D. The problem is that there aren’t a lot of channels.” 

Hays said 3-D may be failing to gain audience because many view it as a gimmick.

“The reason why 3-D movies can sometimes fail is because the crew does not understand the director’s vision,” Hays said. “This is critical to any movie’s success. You can have good and bad 3-D movies just like you can have good and bad 2-D movies.”

Nevertheless, radio-television-film sophomore Kevin Euceda still has hope.

“I want to enter UT3D because it will give me an advantage; it’s the future of filmmaking,” Euceda said.