Texas soccer splits pair in rainy Colorado

Texas soccer split its matches in a rainy Colorado Springs, Colo., this weekend, taking home a 3-1 win over the Air Force Academiy Friday, but falling to Colorado College 2-0 on Sunday.

“I’m really pleased with the result and that the players organized keeping possession of the ball in the second half,” said head coach Angela Kelly after the Air Force game.

In the match against the Falcons, the Longhorns went down early, allowing a goal in the 10th minute by Maddie Lundberg. But Texas evened the score just four minutes later as sophomore Kelsey Shimmick landed a shot in the upper-left corner of the net off a pass from freshman forward Marchelle Davis.

The game remained even for the rest of the first half, but a substitution to start Jasmine Hart in the second half proved productive when the freshman forward sunk two goals in six minutes.

“Jasmine Hart, two big-time goals, she really had a lot of composure, big time,” Kelly said. 

The first goal came after sophomore midfielder Lindsey Meyer’s goal kick, which snuck past the Falcons’ defense, where Hart quickly shot the ball from 25 yards out. Moments later, sophomore defender Ali Schmalz cleared a ball past the defensive line again, and Hart managed the goal from 25 yards away.

“I scored both of them from crossing the ball and I realized if we’re going to get the ball over the top then that’s our easiest way to score,” Hart said of her first two career goals.

The team did not have as much of an offensive spark against Colorado College, playing in the pouring rain after a nearly three-hour delay. The game was postponed in the sixth minute and moved from a grass field to a turf surface.

Colorado College’s Jessie Ayers scored in the 59th minute and junior Kaeli Vandersluis added insurance in the 83rd.

This was the first game of the season that Texas did not outshoot its opponent, only recording nine to the Tigers’ 15, but it did manage more shots on goal with seven to their four. Shimmick led the team with three shots, two on goal, but was unable to turn them into points.