National Notebook: Pelini pleading for fan support after tirade

AP_Nebraska+Pelini_admi
The Associated Press

A recording of a private conversation Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini had two years ago was released this week but, despite the profanity-laced tirade becoming public, Pelini's job is secure.

Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini’s profanity-laced tirade made national headlines earlier this week and now he’s doing what he can to salvage his image.

Pelini, who was recorded criticizing the Cornhusker fanbase, issued a formal apology asking for forgiveness on Tuesday.

“I think our fans would understand the situation, the circumstances regarding this,” Pelini said in the Big Ten coaches’ teleconference. “I think that I’ve built enough points with our fans over the last five years… to earn some forgiveness for something that was made in a private setting. I think people will understand this isn’t representative of how I feel.” 

The administration at Nebraska silenced any rumors of possible disciplinary action on Wednesday when they voiced their support for Pelini and declared the matter closed.

Texas A&M raises record amount in donations

It looks like Texas A&M’s first season in the SEC was just as successful off the field as it was on it.

This week, the university announced it had raised more than $740 million in donations in the past fiscal year. That number is composed of gifts to the university, private grants and donations to several different university foundations. The total far surpasses rival Texas’ roughly $400 million in donations over the same time period.

The funds are already being put to use. The Aggies recently completed a new football-only weight room and athletic nutrition center and have announces plans for a $450 million renovation of Kyle field that will raises seating capacity to 102,500.

Ohio State QB controversy a good thing

The Buckeyes have a good problem on their hands.

After Urban Meyer’s Heisman candidate at quarterback, Braxton Miller, went down with a sprained knee ligament in Week 2, senior backup Kenny Guiton stepped in and stole the spotlight, throwing for 276 yards and four touchdowns while rushing for 92 more in a 52-34 win over Cal last weekend.

But with Miller ready to return for the Buckeyes, Meyer has a tough decision to make. Guiton has been nearly flawless since taking over as the starter, throwing for seven touchdowns and just one interception. Miller, however, is coming off a phenomenal season last year and was expected to be one of the top quarterbacks in the country this year.

Vanderbilt dismisses WR Boyd

Vanderbilt wide receiver Chris Boyd has been dismissed from the football program after pleading guilty to his role in attempting to cover up the rape of an unconscious student.

Boyd was Vanderbilt’s second-leading receiver last season, hauling in 50 passes for 774 yards and five touchdowns.

Originally charged with a felony, the junior receiver plead guilty to the misdemeanor charge in exchange for agreeing to testify against former teammates who were also involved in the campus dormitory rape.

Minnesota coach fine despite game-day seizure

Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill commended his players and staff for winning on Saturday, despite losing their head coach mid-game after he suffered a seizure.

Kill, who has epilepsy, has had multiple seizures while on the sidelines since taking over as head coach of the Gophers in 2011. He says he has never considered coaching from the press box and continues to have the full support of the administration as he attempts to bring Minnesota football back to national prominence.