Alumni organization honors former Daily Texan staffers

Legendary CBS news anchor Walter Cronkite and former First Lady Claudia “Lady Bird” Johnson will be among the 12 inaugural inductees into the Daily Texan Hall of Fame during a reception dinner Nov. 8 at Etter-Harbin Alumni Center.

The event is organized by The Friends of the Daily Texan, an organization made up of Texan alumni interested in promoting the 113-year-old news organization’s sustainability by working closely with current staff members through mentorship, fundraising and networking.

The 12 inductees, according to a press release, also include founding editor Fritz Lanham; Helene Wilke McNaughton, the Texan’s first female editor, who ran the paper during the dismissal of former UT President Homer Rainey; former editor Willie Morris, who fought the University’s attempts to censor the Texan after he wrote several editorials criticizing segregation and the University’s ties to oil and gas interests; and former editor Dick Elam, who pushed for racial integration and fought against anti-communist hysteria.

They also include former managing editor Karen Elliott House, who won the Pulitzer Prize in 1984 for her reporting on the Middle East; Bill Moyers, who was President Lyndon Baines Johnson’s press secretary and hosts the American Public Television show, “Moyers & Company;” Ben Sargent, a Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist who drew cartoons for the Austin American-Statesman for over 30 years; and Karen Tumulty, a national political correspondent for The Washington Post.

The event will also honor Bryan Mealer under the “Rising Star” category. Mealer has freelanced for several publications including Esquire magazine, Texas Monthly and the Associated Press.