Horns Up, Horns Down for Sept. 24: Junot Diaz dazzles, LGBTQ Texans struggle for representation

horns

Horns Down: LGBTQ Texans struggle to find representation on Republican ballot

In an article published in the Austin-American Statesman on Saturday, The Associated Press pointed out that none of the Republicans running for statewide office in 2014 support expanding protections for LGBTQ groups. Considering the socially conservative nature of our state, this makes sense, but that doesn’t mean we can’t resent whoever chained fiscal conservatism to archaic and immoral policies against LGBTQ citizens. Would it be too much to ask for a conservative who dislikes the deficit but doesn’t mind if a man marries a man? In Texas, apparently, the answer is yes.

Horns Up: Junot Diaz goes out of his way to speak with students 

At an event at the Blanton Museum of Art on Monday night, Pulitzer-prize-winning author Junot Diaz went out of his way to accommodate the roughly 100 students who were not able to get a seat in the packed auditorium to hear him speak. Before the event officially started, Diaz walked outside to the crowd and took student questions for more than 10 minutes. It’s not often that a Pultizer-prize-winning author is so generous with their time, and we thank Diaz for making the money spent on his appearance well worth it.