UT student stabbed with fork in Engineering Science Building, suspect apprehended

Jordan Rudner

Update: The stabbing victim Li You had been followed to the U.S. by the assailaint Chenxi Deng from China, as the two had a romantic past. Read the most updated story here.

Update at 12:10 p.m. on Sept. 26: Roger Wade, public information officer for the Travis County Sheriff's office, confirmed that Chenxi Deng has been arrested and charged with aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury, which is a second degree felony.

Deng, a 22 year old non-UT student, is being held at the Travis County Central Booking Facility, where he was booked Wednesday evening at 11:16 p.m.

A judge at the booking facility set Deng’s bond at $50,000, which can be paid with a cash bond, charity bond or personal bond. He has not yet been released.

Deng was also given an emergency protective order mandating he stay at least 200 yards away from the victim at all times.

Cindy Posey, a spokeswoman for UTPD, said the University will not be releasing the female victim’s name because of FERPA restrictions. She said she could not provide an update on the victim’s condition.

Original story: A female UT student was stabbed in the nose with a fork in the Engineering Science Building on Wednesday night, according to UTPD spokeswoman Cindy Posey.

The victim's name has not been released.

Posey said UTPD received a call at 5:45 PM about an assault in progress, and UTPD and APD officers were both dispatched to the scene. According to Posey and witnesses at the scene, the assailant, Chenxi Deng — who is not a UT student — stabbed the female student, after which he was restrained by several UT students until police officers arrived. 

Posey said the student, who was initially taken care of by an EMT on the scene, has been taken to St. David's Medical Center for further treatment. Posey said Deng has been arrested for aggravated assault, though this could not be confirmed by Roger Wade, public information officer for the Travis County Sheriff's office. 

Electrical engineering junior Priscilla Chang said she did not view the attack itself but was witness to the immediate aftermath. Chang said she reached the third-floor elevator and saw a bleeding girl sitting on the bench outside the elevator, surrounded by other students.

"She was crying, obviously," Chang said. "There was a puddle of blood on the floor, kind of off to the side."

Chang said she saw Deng being restrained on the ground by a group of other students. 

"I saw the guy being pinned down by a few other guys, and he was going nuts," Chang said. "He was yelling some crazy stuff, but I couldn't really tell what it was – he seemed incoherent. He was fighting the guys trying to hold him down."

Dylan Zika, an electrical engineering junior, said he was studying in the ENS building when the stabbing occurred. Zika said when he approached the elevator, he was denied access by the police.

"They wouldn't let anyone in the elevator on the third floor for 20 or 30 minutes," Zika said. "I think they'd already cleaned up the blood by the time I got there."