Officials prepare for ENS building demolition, campus renovations

Renovations to various campus buildings will begin this November to prepare for the demolition of the Engineering Science Building next fall and accommodate students, faculty and staff displaced by the demolition.

Project Management and Construction Services will oversee the renovations, which will cost $12 million. The ENS building will be torn down to prepare for the new Engineering Education Research Center, which the University received some funding for from the UT System Board of Regents last month.

Michael DeBow, associate director of Project Management and Construction Services, said several projects have already been completed including a new custodial training facility, renovation of a space in the McCombs School of Business and the George I. Sánchez Building.

“It is very important that we stay on schedule and get these renovations done, so that work on demolishing the ENS building will be able to start in the fall of 2014,” DeBow said.

DeBow said some of the major projects beginning next month are moving the McKinney Engineering Library to the Perry-Casteneda Library and renovating five different floors of the UT Administration.

DeBow said he works closely with those having to relocate and said they have thorough discussions about what needs have to be met to make the transition to their temporary facilities.