Clowney continues to make headlines for all the wrong reasons

The Associated Press

A season filled with more off-field distraction than on-field success got even worse for Jadeveon Clowney
this week.

After sitting out last week against Kentucky, many believed he was not medically cleared but it turned out Clowney approached the coaching staff himself before Saturday’s game to let them know he wasn’t playing.

While there is still no word on the extent of Clowney’s injury, his decision to pull himself from the game has sparked rumors that he may be trying to protect his draft stock. Having already cemented himself as a top pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, it would be in his best interest to focus on his health. He’s questionable against Arkansas this week. 

Three new bowl games added to schedule 

Five smaller FBS conferences have announced three new bowl games for 2014. The games will take place in Boca Raton, Miami and the Bahamas.

The American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, Mid-American Conference, Mountain West Conference and Sun Belt Conference will provide teams for the bowl games as part of the agreement. The bowls and conferences will work together to select teams, but a specific formula has not been set.

With the majority of bowl games being held between “Power Five” conference teams, these games are intended to create more postseason opportunities for smaller schools.

This is the fourth new bowl game added to the 2014 schedule, bringing the total number of bowls to 39.

USC impersonators call prospective coaches

A couple of former NFL head coaches received phone calls from who they thought were USC representatives about the Trojans’ vacant head coaching position last week. The catch? People making the calls had no affiliation with USC.

USC athletic director Pat Haden said on Monday that two people pretending to be USC representatives contacted an unnamed Broncos staff member, likely former Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio, and former Colts head coach Tony Dungy in regards to the Trojan opening.

NCAA quarterback retires due to concussion history

Houston Cougars junior quarterback David Piland has decided to end his playing career, citing multiple concussions. His most recent head injury came on Sept. 7th against Temple.

Piland, who took over as the Cougars starter after the departure of Case Keenum, ends his career with 5,790 passing yards and 41 touchdown passes. He was the starter all of last season and entered this year as the starting quarterback before being injured.