Malcolm Brown, run defense and wide receivers all stand out in Texas win

2013_11_04_Football_vs_Shelby
Shelby Tauber

The Longhorns improved to 5-0 in conference play with their 35-13 victory over Kansas. Here are three things worth noting from Saturday’s game:

Malcolm Brown is back

Junior running back Malcolm Brown continued his scorching play Saturday, rushing for a career-high four touchdowns while racking up 119 yards on the ground.

Brown has now rushed for 290 yards and six touchdowns in his last three contests after accumulating 53 yards with only one score in his first five games. His 100-yard effort on Saturday was his second of the season and the sixth of his career.

Brown’s physical approach complements sophomore running back Johnathan Gray’s ability to work outside the tackles, and he said he enjoyed searching for contact near the goal line against Kansas.

“That is the type of runner I want to be,” Brown said. “These coaches, they want guys that are tough, like the contact and are not backing away from it. That is something I have taken pride in this past year being a short-yardage guy and goal line guy.”

Run defense continues to produce

For the third straight game, Texas limited the opposing running game to fewer than four yards per carry.

The Longhorns held Kansas to 140 yards on 36 carries, an average of just 3.9 yards per rush. Through five conference games, Texas is allowing an average of 126.2 rushing yards per game. 

Also noteworthy was Texas’ ability to slow down senior running back James Sims. After compiling a career-high 176 rushing yards against Texas last season, Sims managed just 48 yards on 15 carries Saturday.

Receivers making plays

Texas enjoyed a balanced attack in the receiving game against Kansas, with seven players recording a catch Saturday.

Leading the way was junior wide receiver Jaxon Shipley, who hauled in six passes for a team-high 77 yards. Sophomore running back/wide receiver Daje Johnson also performed well, tallying a career-high seven receptions for 46 yards.

Sophomore wide receiver Marcus Johnson continued his strong connection with senior quarterback Case McCoy, making three catches for 44 yards. Johnson has registered 223 receiving yards in his past three games, with four of his seven receptions over that stretch going for at least 31 yards.