Texas finds success in Chattanooga

Texas rowing finished its fall season in Chattanooga, Tenn., over the weekend, registering top showings at Saturday and Sunday’s races.

Saturday, the Longhorns opened with a third-place finish from their first varsity 8+ in the Women’s Championship race. The boat featured coxswain Emily Walker, stroke Melanie Eckert, Jessica Smith, Gia Doonan, Casey Redman, Kim Gorcyca, Pippa Loveard, Olivia Nail and Sara Walton. Texas finished in 16:22.8, just behind the University of Oklahoma. The Longhorns second varsity boat added a 12th place finish in 16:56.9.

Additionally, Texas’ novice 4+ boat placed sixth in the Women’s College & Club Novice 4+ race in 21:09.4 just in front of its second novice 4+ which took seventh in 21:223.

Sunday, the Longhorns returned to the water for closing races. All five of Texas’s 8+ boats competed in the Women’s Open 8+ taking two top-10 showings out of 38 boats. Texas’ first varsity 8+ finished fifth again with a time of 15:41.6. The Longhorns second varsity 8+ finished 10th behind Kansas with a time of 16:04.8. Texas’s novice boats finished 26th, 32nd and 33rd, all crossing in a little more than a minute of each other. Texas now moves in to its winter training season.

The spring season will kick off with its annual Fighting Nutria on Lady Bird Lake on Feb. 8th.