Report: Texas hires Arizona State AD Steve Patterson as next athletic director

AP Exchange

Arizona State athletic director Steve Patterson accepted the Texas athletic director job. 

The University of Texas has hired Steve Patterson as its new men’s athletic director, according to University officials.  

The Arizona State athletic director interviewed with an eight-member search committee, which includes two members of the Board of Regents, plus University President William Powers Jr. Patterson and West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck were the reported finalists for the position, but Patterson beat out Luck in the interview process. Patterson is set to replace long-time men's athletic director DeLoss Dodds, who announced his impending retirement in October.

“Steve Patterson emerged as the perfect candidate to build on Texas’ athletic success and DeLoss Dodds’ legacy,” said UT President William Powers Jr. “Steve helped build an NBA championship team and brought the Super Bowl game to Houston. Far more important, he’s run a winning program at Arizona State that places students first and is committed to their lifelong success.”

Patterson, who started as Arizona State athletic director in March 2012, earned his undergraduate degree at the McCombs School of Business and graduated from the University law school. Patterson’s son, Austin, is also a student at Texas.

The appointment is subject to approval from the UT System Board of Regents, which is scheduled to meet Nov. 12 and 13.