National Notebook: Oregon QB Marcus Mariota expected to play

The Associated Press

Just a week after playing with a partial strain to his MCL, Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota says he’ll be good to go this weekend against Utah.

Mariota’s Heisman chances took a big hit last week when the Ducks lost, 26-20, to Stanford. The redshirt sophomore was clearly bothered by the injury throughout the game, rushing for negative yardage after a few sacks. It was reported shortly after the game that he had suffered the knee injury prior to the game.

He is still wearing a brace in practice but when asked if he’d play this week, Mariota responded, “for sure.”

Mariota has passed for 22 touchdowns without being picked off in 327 attempts this year, a Pac-12 record for the most pass attempts without an interception. He has rushed also for 495 yards and nine touchdowns.

Sheriff reveals former South Carolina player shot himself in arm

A sheriff revealed Tuesday that former South Carolina running back Kenny Miles shot himself in the arm, despite Miles stating earlier that he was shot during a robbery.

Miles, who will now be charged with filing a false police report, shot himself Nov. 4 in an industrial park parking lot. No further information was released as to what he was doing at the time he shot himself or if any other criminal activity was involved.

The Lawrenceville, Ga. native spent most of his career with the Gamecocks as a backup to current NFL running back Marcus Lattimore. He racked up 1,341 yards and four touchdowns over the course of his South Carolina career.

Florida starting QB a game-time decision against South Carolina

Florida Gator starting quarterback Tyler Murphy is expected to be a game-time decision against South Carolina this week, according to offensive coordinator Brent Pease.

Murphy originally sprained his right shoulder against LSU last month. He has played in each of Florida’s three games since, but said he landed on the shoulder in their last game against Vanderbilt and likely made it worse. The shoulder is still sore and could keep on the sidelines this weekend.

The junior has completed 60.5 percent of his passes with six touchdowns and five interceptions so far this year.

Nebraska’s Martinez unlikely to return

According to his father, Taylor Martinez will not play again for the Nebraska
Cornhuskers.

Martinez’s father, Casey Martinez, stated that the senior quarterback has a “debilitating injury” near the ball of his left foot that likely won’t be fully healed until February or March.

Martinez was injured in the first week of the season and, despite playing in a few games since, has been unable to return to full strength. The California native finishes his collegiate career with 7,258 yards passing, 56 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. He also rushed for 2,975 yards and 31 touchdowns.

Baylor’s Briles gets 10-year extension

Baylor head coach Art Briles has led the Bears to an 8-0 record for the first time in school history, and now he’s being rewarded for it.

The University’s regents approved the deal wednesday but financial details weren’t revealed, as is standard practice for the private university. The deal will come into effect next season, running through 2023.

Briles has led an unprecedented turnaround, turning the Bears from Big 12 doormats into perennial contenders. In six years as head coach, he has posted a 41-30 record.