Hixon continues dominance on day two of the UT Diving Invitational

Day two of the UT Diving Invitational saw the men take to the three-meter board for competition. For the second evening in a row, the final was stacked with Longhorns, occupying five of the eight qualifying spots.

The night would again belong to freshmen diver Michael Hixon who claimed his second event in consecutive nights. After two rounds, Hixon sat in third place, two spots behind the leader, teammate Cory Bowersox. Hixon would pull away from the competition over his next four dives, executing the highest scoring dive in all but one of the next four rounds. Hixon’s best dive came in the second round in the form of a forward three-and-a-half somersault which totaled a meet-best 82.15 points. The Massachusetts native finished with 453.35 points, and a chance to sweep his first UT Diving Invitational with a victory in the platform event on Saturday.

Sophomore Cory Bowersox, who earned the Big 12’s Diver of the Week honor this week, placed fifth in the three-meter event with 418.70 points.  Sophomore Sean O’Brien finished in sixth place and totaled 413.90 points. Freshman Mark Anderson took seventh place with 407.20 points while junior Will Chandler took eighth place with 379.65 points.

Hixon and the Longhorns wrap up the final day of the UT Diving Invite on Saturday with the platform event at 2:00 p.m.