For your favorite music-head

1206_JohnMassingill_3
John Massingill

“Houston Rap” by Peter Beste, Waterloo
Records, $49.99 

Over the past few decades, Houston has developed one of the most vibrant hip-hop cultures in the country with artists such as the Geto Boys, Paul Wall, Bun B, the late Pimp C and DJ Screw. Containing a collection of photographs taken by Beste over the past eight years alongside interviews with all of the major players in the Houston scene, this book serves as a loving testament to a highly influential yet often under-appreciated culture. 

—David Sackllah

“Blame It All On My Roots,” Walmart and Sam’s Club, $24.96

Nothing says Christmas like some country tunes, and this eight-disc Garth Brooks CD/DVD box set is a steal. A record-breaker in both album sales and concert attendance, Brooks takes listeners on a journey back to his early years. Four of the discs are devoted to covers like “Sweet Home Alabama” and “Mrs. Robinson.” Two CDs and one DVD feature Brooks’ greatest hits. Buy Brooks’ box set for your favorite country music lover and present it with two pina coladas — they’ll forget their troubles, bury them in the sand and thank you endlessly. 

—Elisabeth Dillon

End of an Ear gift card, End of an Ear record store, $20-$100

If you’re not quite sure what gift to choose for your favorite music-lover, give them the freedom to choose at End of an Ear record store. Even the most pretentious music snob can’t turn their nose up at a local store offering all the options. Featuring the newest releases and albums both on CD and vinyl, the South First Street store has gift cards in-store, online, and available to be sent out by mail. 

—Lauren L’Amie