By the Numbers: The most important figures of the Texas Longhorns’ volleyball season

Numbers can reveal a lot about what worked during a season and what didn’t for teams. Here are five numbers from Texas’ volleyball campaign, which ended in the Final Four against Wisconsin on Thursday, which really stand out.

7: The number of reception errors Texas had in the Final Four against Wisconsin. The Longhorns had been good all season in that area, only twice did they commit seven reception errors, but both times were costly – both losses. As head coach Jerritt Elliott said after the defeat, “It’s a serve and receive game.”

335: The number of blocks on the year for Texas. This number puts them at sixth in the nation, with the only other major conference team ranking ahead of them being Penn State. The Longhorns’ blocking was a big reason for the team’s successful season. Texas’ three leading blockers—Molly McCage, Khat Bell and Chiaka Ogbogu—all return.

4-2:  Texas’ record on neutral courts this season. At home: 13-0. On the road: 10-1. On neutral courts, the Longhorns struggled to find a comfort zone. Even Haley Eckerman noted that playing in Key Arena in the Final Four threw them off.

.252: Texas’ hitting percentage on the year against non-conference foes. In conference they hit .325, but struggled against the better blocks outside the Big 12. Texas’ weak conference schedule helped inflate the Longhorns’ hitting numbers.

.122: Big 12 Freshman of the Year Chiaka Ogbogu’s hitting percentage in the NCAA tournament, if you take out her dominating performance against American in the Sweet 16. Throughout the Big 12 regular season, she was just that – dominant. Ogbogu ranked second in the Big 12 in conference play, hitting .386. Outside of the American game, though, she disappeared. Texas needs her to be a major factor next season.