Texas’ mild success in quieting the quack can’t overcome offensive woes

ALAMO5copy
Charlie Pearce

Texas made its second consecutive appearance in the Valero Alamo Bowl on Monday night to close head coach Mack Brown’s storied tenure with the Longhorns. But this time Texas was on the losing end as it fell to No. 10 Oregon 30-7. Here are four key aspects to take from the Longhorns’ season finale.

Mack’s last stand

After 16 years as the head football coach at Texas, the Longhorns sent off Brown with a 30-7 loss to Oregon in the Valero Alamo Bowl.

“It’s tough not to get a win for him,” senior defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat said. We love coach Brown and Ms. Sally. It’s tough to see him go. Even though [the seniors] are moving on, we are Texas. So it’s going to be tough not seeing him here.” 

Holding his wife in one arm and the “Hook 'em Horns” sign on the other, Brown sang "The Eyes of Texas” for the last time as the Texas head coach. As he walked off the field at the Alamodome, chants of “Mack” surrounded him, but the reality of his last game hadn’t really sunk in.

“I’ll probably get up at 6 a.m., and be watching a video and be worried about somebody," Brown said.

On the Marcus

Once again, Texas was unable to contain a dual-threat quarterback as Oregon’s Marcus Mariota overwhelmed the Longhorns. Mariota recorded 133 rushing yards, breaking the Alamo Bowl record for rushing yards by a quarterback, which was previously 118 yards.

In addition, Mariota recorded 253 passing yards with 18 completions. The junior quarterback used Texas' defense to become the first Oregon player to surpass 4,000 yards in total offense.

Longhorns run out of gas at the Valero Alamo Bowl

Senior quarterback Case McCoy ended his career Monday night with a subpar performance in San Antonio he might like to soon forget. McCoy recorded just 48 yards of passing, setting a Valero Alamo Bowl record low, and completed only six passes. In addition, McCoy was intercepted twice, both of which were returned for touchdowns.

Texas’ offense compiled just 236 yards of total offense through the game. The Longhorns’ only points came off a first quarter 16-play drive, which would represent Texas’ best offensive production of the night.

Quieting the quack

While Texas had trouble containing the speedy Mariota, the Longhorns gave up just one touchdown to the Ducks’ offense. Oregon, which had an average of 46.8 points per game this season, was held to a field goal on three of its red-zone drives for another strong defensive showing by Texas.

Defensive coordinator Greg Robinson’s group recorded two sacks and forced three fumbles on the night, though none of which were recovered by Texas. Oregon’s 469 yards of total offense is 104 fewer than its average all season.