About 5,000 show up for 20th annual 3M Half Marathon

2014-01-19_Half_Marathon_Zach_Sam
Sam Ortega

David Stransky from Anchorage, AK runs in the 3M Half Marathon this past Sunday. Over 4,000 participants ran in the marathon, with the first finisher running the course under an hour and 10 minutes.

This year, the race started at the corner of Stonelake Boulevard and Capital of Texas Highway, continued through the UT campus and finished at Waterloo Park.

Jane Kovacs, the event’s public relations supervisor, said the race catered to seasoned runners and those new to running half marathons.

“Topographically, if you follow it, it’s a downhill race,” Kovacs said. “But, you know, there’s a guy running his 20th race, and he runs so he can eat Blue Bell Ice Cream. How fabulous is that?”

The race comes at a good time for running-inclined UT students, according to government senior Zach Flores, who ran in the event. Flores is also part of the University’s Texas Running Club and ran more than 1,000 miles in 2013, with 180 in December alone. 

“It’s a good race for the UT students because we’re getting back into [running].” Flores said. “It’s also a good way to start a New Year’s resolution.”  

Jodi Ondrusek, a UT marketing and advertising communications alumna, has been running the race for four years, since her arrival at UT.

“It’s kind of hard to be [in Austin] and not get sucked into [exercising],” Ondrusek said. “It was part of my way to deal with [graduate] school stuff. [The race] has a good history and is well organized.

The city identified the 3M Half Marathon as a historic, traditional and iconic Austin race last year. More than 600 volunteers helped prepare for the large crowd, and a local company supplied 3,600 gallons of water to the race.

“We’ve got entertainment all the way down the way — anywhere from bagpipes to Blender to Brian McCloud,” Kovacs said.

After the race, Flores said he would enjoy the atmosphere for the day — but not for long.

“There’s a lot of people on the streets — it’s a great [feeling],” Flores said. “I’m going to hang out with friends, rest and eat barbecue. And then I’m going to get up the next day to train.”