Local venues break Valentine’s Day norms

0213_HannahHadidi
Hannah Hadidi

Valentine’s Day is a day for singles and couples to reflect on their relationship statuses and assess just how much chocolate is acceptable to consume in one 24-hour period. The Daily Texan compiled a list of events that attempt to break the heart-shaped monotony of the year’s most-romantic holiday.

The Love Bites Sing-Along at Alamo Drafthouse

When: Various times

Where: Alamo Drafthouse

Cost: $12

Website: drafthouse.com

Nothing cures a broken or bruised heart like passionately belting out a song. The Love Bites Sing-Along includes the music of Bon Jovi, Journey and other ’80s and ’90s relics. Beginning with an air guitar competition, viewers will also participate in holding complimentary lighters in the air and pounding “fists at the sky in defiance of those who would dare not love” them. There will be prizes for people who share the best break-up stories. Hash out unrequited love and listen to Steve Perry’s uplifting message that love will find you. Check online for show times.

Valloween at Space 12

When: Friday, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.

Where: 3121 E. 12th St.

Cost: $5-10

Website: space12.org

Instead of facing the holiday, pretend it’s a different one. Valloween is a chance to dress up like it’s Oct. 31. Go as a lonely troll monster or slap on a set of fairy wings. This Valentine’s-Halloween hybrid is the love child of the community rental residence Space 12 and the Inside Book Project, a volunteer organization that donates books to incarcerated citizens and promotes incarcerated education. Admission is a $5-$10 donation with proceeds benefitting the Inside Book Project. The event will have live music, free beer and two DJs.

Sixth Annual Anti-Valentine’s Day Burlesque Show at Speakeasy

When: Friday at 9 p.m.

Where: 412 Congress Ave.

Cost: $12-15

Website: batcitybombshells.com

If a heart-shaped box of chocolates and watching “The Notebook” proves to be too mild of a night, turn up the heat with Austin’s Bat City Bombshells. Combining the theatrics and sensuality of classic burlesque, the local group will perform its sixth annual anti-Valentine’s show at Speakeasy. Eleven female thespians will take the stage in handmade costumes to strip and tease. The yearly show is intended to be a celebration of “lust, broken hearts and beautiful ladies,” filled with laughter, lingerie and seduction. Oh my!

Valentine X by the House of Torment

When: Friday and Saturday, 7:30-10:30 p.m.

Where: The House of Torment at Highland Mall

Cost: $24.99

Website: thehouseoftorment.com

Trade in love for blood-curdling fear. The House of Torment is hosting a new event called Valentine X. House of Torment is known for its multi-level sets with characters and scenarios portrayed by local actors. The haunted house will have all the usual horror but with a Valentine’s Day twist. It stars the Bear Butcher — an evil character looking for victims to satisfy his lustful vengeance. The Bear Butcher leaves nothing of his victims but an ‘X’ carved into their foreheads. Swoon. Whether alone or with someone, pants-wetting fear will take precedence over relationship status during the 30-minute tour. If not, maybe that cute stranger will agree to hold hands until the end of the “candlelit horror.”