Longhorns blank Islanders 10-0 for 11th straight home opening win

2014-02-19_Baseball_vs_A%26M_Corpus_Christi_Shelby
Shelby Tauber

Freshman pitcher Jon Malmin delivers a pitch against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. The Longhorns won the game 10-0. Malmin threw 1.1 innings of scoreless relief in Texas' home-opener, helping Texas move to 3-2 on the season. 

Despite an early lack of control on the mound, Texas went on to control every moment of its 11th straight home opening victory.

The Longhorns (3-2) blanked Texas A&M Corpus Christi (2-3) 10-0 Tuesday night behind sophomore infielder C.J. Hinojosa’s three-RBI performance. Texas recorded 11 hits to the Islanders’ seven, while capitalizing on its opponent’s four errors.

The game was a showcase of young pitching for the Longhorns, as freshman pitchers Blake Goins, Josh Sawyer and Jon Malmin combined for six-and-a-third innings pitched, surrendering only six total hits and striking out five. Goins threw 2.1 scoreless innings in his collegiate debut, while Sawyer had a team-high four strikeouts.

Although the Islanders failed to capitalize on many opportunities, leaving 10 runners on base in the game, Texas head coach Augie Garrido was troubled with the lack of stability by his pitching unit that yielded four walks and two wild pitches.

Texas got the scoring started with an RBI single by Hinojosa that scored senior outfielder Mark Payton after his triple gave the Longhorns their first hit. The Longhorns recorded two more runs in the third after a dropped fly ball by the shortstop, giving them a 3-0 lead.

The Longhorns erupted in the fifth inning to add five more runs to their lead. Hinojosa picked up his second RBI on a double while Texas scored two more runs on another error by the Islanders’ shortstop.

A&M Corpus Christi’s only threat to Texas came in the top of the sixth when it loaded the bases following a wild pitch and an error.

After being named Big 12 Player of the Week, Payton continued his fast pace, going 2-for-4 with a triple and a single and two runs scored. Hinojosa added two hits in his five at-bats to help carry the Longhorn offense.

Texas has scored 21 runs in its last three games, giving the offense much needed momentum as it carries a three-game win streak into next weekend’s series with Stanford.