Women’s swimming and diving repeats Big 12 title

2014-02-27_Swimming_and_Diving_Marshall
Marshall Tidrick

Junior Gretchen Jacques finished second in the 200 IM race Thursday. Kelsey LeNeave beat her out for the title. 

The Longhorns did it again this weekend, securing another Big 12 title. Texas glided through competition to sweep seven events Saturday. Grabbing their 12th Big 12 title, the Longhorns set out on a mission and never strayed. Texas ended the meet with 1,109.5 points atop runner-up Kansas’ 617. 

The Longhorns not only beat their competition but also improved personal times. Freshman Tasija Karosas started off the night with her personal best 1:53.49 in the 200 backstroke.

Senior butterfly/freestyle swimmer Ellen Lobb continued her dominance in the 50 freestyle to win her third consecutive Big 12 title in the event. She then translated her success from the 50-yard into the 100-yard freestyle to edge out teammate senior freestyle swimmer Samantha Tucker by one one-hundredth of a second. As if first and second wasn’t enough, senior backstroke/freestyle swimmer Alex Hooper completed the sweep by claiming third place in the event.

Lobb said all she wanted this year was to translate her 50 into the 100, and that the performance was a “big boost of confidence.”

“I knew after this morning the three of us were so close that it was just going to come down to whoever put their head down at the finish,” Lobb said.

The Longhorns also took home individual awards for coach, diver and newcomer of the meet. The awards went to diving coach Matt Scoggin, senior diver Maren Taylor and freshman swimmer Madisyn Cox, respectively.

Head coach Carol Capitani acknowledged the Longhorns’ overall dominance but said her team cannot dwell upon the Big 12 victory for too long. 

“The competition day in and day out has helped get our team get to where it is right now,” Capitani said. “You’re disappointed when every single thing isn’t perfect but I think that’s where lessons are learned. That’s where we’re going to move forward and be better.”

The NCAA Championships will be held March 20-22 in Minneapolis, Minn.