Judi Garman Classic presents tough challenge, chance for revenge for the Longhorns

2014-03-01_Softball_vs_Louisiana_Monroe_Amy
Amy Zhang

Despite a record of just 3-5 this season, freshman pitcher Tiarra Davis has performed well for the Longhorns, posting a 2.63 ERA with a team-leading 48 strikeouts.

Texas had a great chance to pull off a big win back on Feb. 21 over then No. 3 Washington.

Down 3-2 in the bottom of the seventh, the Longhorns had runners at the corners, but failed to bring the tying run across, leaving a bad taste in their mouths.

Saturday night, the Longhorns will get their chance at revenge, taking on the Huskies at the end of a three-game stretch against ranked opponents in the Judi Garman Classic.

“It was pretty tough,” sophomore right fielder Lindsey Stephens said. “The job should have been done.”

Before getting another shot at Washington, Texas will have to face No. 10 Arizona State on Friday and No. 5 Michigan on Saturday morning.

Arizona State comes into the tournament in a bit of a slump, losing two of its last five games. The Sun Devils are led offensively by Cheyenne Coyle who leads the team with six home runs and 22 RBIs.

Michigan comes in 14-3 after splitting a double header with UCLA this week. Junior pitcher Haylie Wagner has dominated the circle for the Wolverines, posting a .71 ERA and striking out 40 batters.

Texas will get a chance to get back at Washington in the night cap Saturday night. After leaving those runners on base to end the game, Stephens said Texas is a different team this time around.

“That game lit a fire under us,” Stephens said. “We’ve worked a lot on situations with runners in scoring position.”

Despite the tough opposition, head coach Connie Clark said the team will focus more on what it can do to get better, rather than focusing on its opponents.

“We’re really going to try to keep it simple and focus on the little things,” Clark said.

Memcache statistics

Operation Bin Key Hit
get cache_bootstrap cache_bootstrap-variables 1
get cache_bootstrap cache_bootstrap-bootstrap_modules 1
get cache_bootstrap cache_bootstrap-lookup_cache 1
get cache_bootstrap cache_bootstrap-system_list 1
get cache_bootstrap cache_bootstrap-module_implements 1
get cache cache-context 1
getMulti cache cache-.wildcard-context 1
get cache cache-ctools_plugin_type_info 1
get cache cache-plugins%3Acontext%3Aplugins 1
getMulti cache cache-.wildcard-plugins%3Acontext 1
get cache_path cache_path-ckeditor%2Fxss  
get cache cache-filter_formats%3Aen 1
get cache cache-filter_list_format 1
get cache_bootstrap cache_bootstrap-hook_info 1
get cache cache-theme_registry%3Atexan 1
getMulti cache cache-.wildcard-theme_registry 1