SXSW film preview: the big names

FilmPreview-TheRaid2
Photo Courtesy of Sony Pictures Classics

For film lovers, SXSW is like an all-you-can-eat buffet. 133 films of all types will be playing at various locations around Austin. The Daily Texan created a mini-preview of some of the bigger profile screenings to watch.

Boyhood (164 minutes)

Sunday, March 9, 10:30 a.m. at Paramount

Richard Linklater and Ethan Hawke were in town last year to premiere “Before Midnight.” The duo has another film at this year’s festival, this time a dramatic chronicle of a family. Filmed over more than a decade from 2002 to 2013, the 164 minute long “Boyhood” looks at the challenges of raising a family and the experiences of growing up. It’s an ambitious project, but Linklater is in familiar territory here. He brought us back to the same couple over three movies spanning almost 20 years, and “Boyhood” attempts something similar — except all in one film.

The Grand Budapest Hotel (99 minutes)

Monday, March 10, 9 p.m. at Paramount

UT alumnus Wes Anderson’s latest film will have an Austin release on March 14, but on March 10, SXSW-goers will have a chance to catch a screening of the film and an extended Q-and-A with the director at the Paramount. Anderson has compiled one of his most impressive casts to date, including Harvey Keitel, Jeff Goldblum, Saoirse Ronan and Tilda Swinton. Ralph Fiennes stars as Gustav H, the concierge of a famous hotel in Europe between the two World Wars who is unwittingly caught in a battle for a priceless heirloom. In true Anderson style, it all looks gorgeous. For fans of the eccentric director, “The Grand Budapest Hotel” should not be missed. 

Joe (117 minutes)

Sunday, March 9, 2:45 p.m. at Paramount

David Gordon Green’s new film stars Nicolas Cage as Joe, an ex-con who forms an unlikely bond with a local kid (Tye Sheridan). Similar to last year’s “Mud,” which also featured Sheridan and played at SXSW, “Joe” is a violent, Southern-fried coming-of-age story with impressive performances from both of its stars.  

Only Lovers Left Alive (123 minutes)

Saturday, March 8, 6:15 p.m. at Stateside

Jim Jarmusch’s film, starring Tom Hiddelston and Tilda Swinton, is a vampire story that examines how immortality can affect an emotional bond. Though the supernatural couple has repeatedly reunited over the years, their bond is truly tested with the collapse of modern society. The film co-stars Mia Wasikowska and Anton Yelchin and was raved about at last year’s Cannes Film Festival. 

The Raid 2 (148 minutes)

Sunday, March 9, 9:15 p.m. at Paramount

Two years ago, Gareth Evans’ insane marital-arts flick, “The Raid: Redemption,” had the SXSW audience cheering in its seats. This year, the director reunites with star Iko Uwais for another Jakarta-set crime story. This time around, Rama goes undercover to take down the syndicate that has targeted his family.