The top free interactive events at this year’s SXSW

Don’t let money stop you from going to SXSW this year. The free, public events offer a taste of all aspects of the festival. From gaming to DIY, there’s an event for everyone to enjoy.  The Daily Texan compiled a list of some of the free highlights of the festival.

Friday, March 7

Starting Friday, experience SXSW Create, a chance to do hands-on projects and learn more about the DIY world. This event is available from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. SXSW Gaming is also open to the public throughout the weekend. From actually playing games to networking and learning about innovation in the field, all gamers are welcome. Latinos in Tech will discuss the impact Latinos have had on the field of technology and their crucial voice in the years to come.

Saturday, March 8

For the first time, SXSW will host Gaming Awards, an event honoring the top gamers and creators in the industry. SXSW Eco Light Garden will also be available. This light show connects art, geometry and urban structure and is open to the public Saturday and Sunday. 

Thursday, March 13

Through Saturday, the Renegade Craft Fair will feature more than 180 crafters and offer music and food. The fair is open from noon to 8 p.m. to the public. Flatstock 46 will also be available every day until Saturday. The event showcases top gig poster artists, displaying famous concert posters and allowing the public to meet the artists. Music Gear Expo will be a haven for music tech lovers with gadgets from amps to apps. This event will be available through Saturday  as well.