Women’s basketball tops Oklahoma, faces West Virginia in Big 12 semifinals

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla.—Before Saturday, sophomore center Imani McGee-Stafford hadn’t won a Big 12 Tournament game. And none of her teammates had enjoyed a berth to the tournament’s semifinals game. But for the first time since 2008, Texas will make a semifinals appearance.

Texas (21-10) advanced to Sunday’s semifinals against No. 7 West Virginia with an 82-72 win over the Sooners (18-14).

“I’m really, really proud of our composure,” head coach Karen Aston said. “At halftime, they really reset themselves, which is the sign of a team that’s beginning to have terrific chemistry and growing up.”

Texas overcame an Oklahoma halftime lead for the second time this season with a 12-3 run to start the second half. Shooting 72.7 percent at the 11:27 mark of the second period, Texas withstood the game’s 14 lead changes to come out ahead.

“Another thing we talked about at halftime was playing defense and getting back to our character and what we’re about,” said senior guard Chassidy Fussell.

Fussell scored a team-high 16 points (6-7 FT) in the match, grabbing four boards and two steals. McGee-Stafford and junior forward Nneka Enemkpali joined the effort as they grabbed 15 points, 7 rebounds, and 10 points, 13 rebounds respectively.

Tip-off against West Virginia is 4:30 p.m. CST.