Softball loses, regains edge at Judi Garman Classic

Heading into the Judi Garman Classic, the Longhorns (17-13) looked to continue their dominant play from the previous week’s Texas Invitational. 

Freshman pitcher Tiarra Davis pitched her sixth complete game in the opener, a 5-1 win against Houston. Hitting 2-for-3 on the night, sophomore utility Lindsey Stephens belted a team-leading eighth home run of the year. Houston picked up its lone run in the seventh when the Cougars’ back-to-back hits pushed a score across. Davis struck out four, giving up only four hits and three walks.

Head coach Connie Clark’s squad hit a bump in the road next game against No. 7 Arizona State, as an 8-3 loss that ended Texas’ six-game winning streak. A Sun Devils grand slam and solo home run extended Texas’ deficit to seven. Stranding 13 runners while outhitting their opponent 12-7, the Longhorns dropped to 3-4 against ranked opponents this season. No. 5 Michigan next beat Texas 3-1. 

Looking to rebound from a two-game skid and avenge last month’s loss against the Huskies, Texas faced No. 6 Washington. Senior shortstop Taylor Thom’s third home run of the season wasn’t enough in the 6-5 loss. Stephens snapped her 16-game hit streak but reached base for a 27th straight game, tying the program’s No. 2 all-time record. 

The Longhorns lost 4-3 to unranked Long Beach State at the tournament’s end on a walk-off home run. It was senior catcher Mandy Ogle’s turn to hit a homer in this loss.

The Longhorns downed North Texas in a two-game series Tuesday, 10-2 and 2-1 to end their losing streak. Taking on Iowa at home, Texas next defeated the Hawkeyes 9-1 and 6-5 this weekend. Texas plays its final game against Iowa  7 p.m. Monday.