Third victim dies from injuries stemming from SXSW car incident

On Monday, 26-year old Sandy Le died from injuries sustained in Thursday’s South by Southwest car crash.

Le, who is originally from Pass Christian, Miss., had been in critical condition at University Medical Center Brackenridge since Thursday. Her death marks the third fatality resulting from the collision.

Eight hours after the crash, Christopher Ziebell, emergency department director at Brackenridge, said he was not optimistic about the recovery process for Le or for DeAndre Tatum, another patient in critical condition who has not yet been released from the hospital.

“The two most critical patients, I have a great deal of concern and worry about,” Ziebell said at a press conference Thursday. “We’re going to do our best for them, but these are some of the worst injuries that we see, and not everybody with these kind of injuries is going to survive.”

35-year old Steven Craenmehr and 27-year old Jamie Ranae West were pronounced dead shortly after the crash. West’s husband, Evan West, was also injured.

Travis County district judges issued a formal arrest warrant Friday afternoon for 21-year old Rashad Charjuan Owens, who has been accused of driving his car through a crowded area of downtown during SXSW activities, killing two people and injuring 23 others. Owens was charged with one count of capital murder and bond has been set at $3 million.