Ware’s departure best for both parties

Next season the Dallas Cowboys all-time sack leader DeMarcus Ware will no longer have a star on the side of his helmet. Instead, Ware will wear a Bronco logo as the outside linebacker – defensive end hybrid will join Denver after Dallas failed to restructure his contract.

During his nine year tenure with the Cowboys Ware played in 141 games. In those 141 games, he recorded 444 tackles, 117 sacks and 32 forced fumbles.

While Ware’s presence will be missed, it was time for both parties to split.

Although owner Jerry Jones placed the Cowboys in a salary cap nightmare, Ware could have remained on the team if he was willing to take a pay cut. But that simply wasn’t the case.

But who can blame Ware- the Cowboys organization has finished the last three seasons at 8-8 and Jerry Jones hasn’t made the best moves to help his team. Leaving for Denver gives Ware the best opportunity to win a super bowl.

Even though Ware decided to leave, he said that it was an honor to play for the Cowboys

"I was honored to wear the Star alongside my former teammates and will always hold a special place in my heart for the Cowboys Nation and the Dallas community,” Ware tweeted.

As for Dallas, giving into Ware’s demand was risky- restructuring Ware’s contract could have run the Cowboys over the salary cap and Ware is coming off multiple surgeries.

During the 2013 offseason, Ware had surgeries on his shoulder and right elbow. In 2014, Ware once again had surgery on his right elbow.

Due to his multiple injuries, Ware has seen his production dwindle. Ware’s sack total dropped from 19.5 sacks in 2011 to 11.5 in 2012.

In 2013, Dallas’ new defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin changed from a 3-4 scheme to the 4-3, moving Ware to defensive end. This move combined with injuries to his back and elbow resulted in 2013 being one of Ware’s worst seasons, with only six sacks and 28 total tackles.

After Ware’s rough 2013 campaign, the Cowboys had every right to let go of him. Ware isn’t the same player he was in his prime.

Ware might make a comeback with the Broncos but it doesn't seem likely. He is in the twilight of his career and even if he doesn't want to admit it, joining the Broncos is his best opportunity to go out on top.

One day Ware will see his name in the Cowboys’ ring of honor, but for now he’ll chase a championship with the Denver Broncos.