Amplify Austin raises $5.7 million in funds

Amplify Austin, a 24-hour “festival of giving,” exceeded its goal of $4 million on Friday, raising a total of $5.7 million dollars for more than 400 local nonprofit organizations.

The event, which ran from 6 p.m. Thursday through 6 p.m. Friday, provides a means for online donations to nonprofit organizations of choice among those participating, and amplifies the donations by incentive dollars from sponsors. Larger sponsors also awarded financial prizes to top earning nonprofits.

Donna Vliet, founder and director of ACCESS to Learning, Inc., an organization working with museums and schools to promote learning and one of the nonprofits participating in the event, said Amplify Austin is the primary means by which the organization raises funds.

“We participated last year, so this is our second year, and the first year, we were very fortunate in that [donations from the event] doubled our budget,” Vliet said. “I think they’ve improved the event this year. They showed visually what we do through pictures, and the testimonials were good too … We need the funding and this is a wonderful opportunity.”

In its second year, Amplify Austin raised $2.8 million last year, and is a program of I Live Here, I Give Here, a campaign to support philanthropy in the Central Texas area.