Wendy Davis, Leticia Van de Putte highlights accomplishments of past female leaders

2014-04-15_Wendy_Leticia_Shelby
Shelby Tauber

Speaking on campus Monday night, state Sen. Wendy Davis, D-Fort Worth and candidate for governor, highlighted the accomplishments of female leaders to encourage other women to strive for their goals.

Davis and state Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio and candidate for lieutenant governor, served as keynote speakers for Texas Tea, an event hosted by the Texas Orange Jackets, an all-women service organization.

Davis spoke about the work of women, including Minnie Fisher Cunningham, a suffrage politician and leader of the League of Women Voters, and Bessie Coleman, an African-American pilot. Van de Putte shared her experiences as a young legislator, citing Barbara Jordan, a U.S. Congresswoman and the first African-American elected to the Texas Senate, as an inspiration for her.

Van de Putte told the story of a dinner held by former Gov. Ann Richards, at which she met Jordan. Van de Putte claimed the dinner was an example of the way women must help each other network in their fields.

Davis will face off against Republican nominee Greg Abbott for the governor’s seat in November.