Longhorns fall to Sooners 4-1 in pitcher’s duel

2014-04-05_Softball_VS_Texas_Tech_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

A home run by senior catcher Mandy Ogle wasn't enough Thursday night in Texas' 4-1 loss to Oklahoma. The Longhorns managed just three hits against the sooners. 

The most recent chapter in the Red River Rivalry was written Thursday night on ESPN2, a platform not usually reserved for regular season softball games.

Texas (26-17, 6-2 Big 12) dropped its second Big 12 game this season in its 4-1 defeat at the hands of No. 16 Oklahoma (33-9, 10-1 Big 12). The game was a pitching duel for the most part, until the Sooners’ bats came alive to chase freshman star Tiarra Davis.

After two scoreless innings, senior Mandy Ogle got the Longhorns on the board first with a deep homer to left field, giving her seven on the season. Oklahoma responded in the bottom of the third with an RBI single, which tied the game at one until the fifth inning. 

Davis did a solid job against the Sooners, allowing just four hits and one run through four innings, but a Sooner rally of two homers in the bottom of the fifth sealed the deal for the Longhorns, who weren’t able to manage even a hit in the final two innings. Davis’ final line was six innings pitched, with six hits and four earned runs given up.

Despite the Ogle home run early in the game, Oklahoma sophomore pitcher Kelsey Stevens controlled the Longhorns on the mound, surrendering only three hits and one run while striking out seven Texas hitters on the night.

Senior outfielder Brejae Washington was hitless in the game and still remains two hits shy of second place on the Texas all-time hit list. She needs nine to take sole possession of the hits record.

Thursday night marked Texas’ first conference loss since April 5 against the Red Raiders and a break in momentum after a series sweep of Iowa State last weekend. Game two is set for 6:30 p.m. Friday night, in Norman, Okla.