Chris Hummer reflects on his time at The Daily Texan

919A3909_UpdatedChris_ShwetaGulati
Shweta Gulati

I didn’t deserve to be hired at the Texan.

Freshman year, I couldn’t string a sentence together, let alone craft a story, but Dan, my first editor, took a chance on me. I didn’t know it at the time, but that began the most important education experience of my life.

OK, maybe that’s the kind of hyperbole I was quickly taught to suppress. But, really, I cannot express how thankful I am for my time at the Texan.

It’s where I’ve learned to ask thoughtful questions, write compelling leads and to attack a story. It’s also where I figured out working until 2 a.m. isn’t always bad; the best days are the busiest, and even the bliss of tryout pizza can wear thin by the second week.

I’ve also been incredibly lucky in my time here. In the sports department, I was allowed to grow, fail, try new things and, after I messed up, try again.

I started with women’s golf and then moved to softball. There, I was lucky enough to work with Sara Beth, who was nice enough to show a rookie the ropes.  

Volleyball came next — Lauren, I think we still don’t know quite enough about that sport.

Baseball followed, perhaps my favorite beat. Those players and Augie Garrido are among the nicest you’ll meet, and, Christian, thanks for keeping the laughs flowing at the Disch.

Fall 2013 meant football — the biggest challenge of my college career and the most enjoyable. Four stories a week, late nights and some insightful press box observations with Lauren.

I took the next semester off for a venture in New York, but it was right back to the Texan in the fall. It was then I blinked and realized I was no longer the baby in the basement — someone crazy had hired me as sports editor. Luckily, I had the best staff anyone could ask for. I’m proud to have worked with each of y’all.

This semester has been quite different for me, but Bobby, thanks for helping a sports guy navigate the special ventures world.

The Texan has opened more doors for me than I ever could have imagined. But what I’ll always remember about my time are the incredible, talented and dedicated people I’ve crossed paths with in the basement.

There are too many to list here, but I want to take a quick moment to say thanks. To all my editors who gave me a chance. To the advisors and managing editors that stayed patient and let me push inch counts — sometimes a lot. And to all the designers, copy editors and photographers who make my stories look amazing each day. There are many people more I could, and should mention, but just know our time chatting or tossing a foam ball meant a lot.

Walking away from this place is one of the toughest things I’ll have to do in my life. It may not say it on my degree, but it should. I majored in The Daily Texan at The University of Texas.

-30-