Texas defeats Louisville to extend stay in Omaha

2014_06_16_CWS_Baseball_vs_Louisville_Joe
Joe Capraro

The Longhorns scored runs in three straight innings to take control of their elimination game against Louisville and win, 4-1, at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha Monday.

Junior pitcher Parker French got the start and responded with seven and a third innings of quality pitching, being responsible for the only Cardinals’ run in the eighth.

Louisville’s Anthony Kidston allowed three runs to score en route to a loss, the first of his collegiate career.

The Longhorns struck first in the third inning after a double by freshman third baseman Zane Gurwitz who eventually scored on a sacrifice fly by sophomore leftfielder Ben Johnson.

Texas scored again the next inning following back-to-back singles by sophomore shortstop C.J Hinojosa and junior rightfielder Collin Shaw. Senior designated hitter Madison Carter bunted the runners over, and freshman first baseman Kacy Clemens  drove in Hinojosa when he reached on an error.

In the fifth, senior centerfielder Mark Payton drew a walk and was eventually able to score thanks to two succeeding errors by the Cardinals.

French pitched smoothly through seven but ran into some problems in the eighth when he walked a batter then hit the next. He got the out at first on the following sacrifice bunt, but was pulled for sophomore pitcher Travis Duke after that.

Duke surrendered the Cardinals first run, but managed to stop the damage at that and wasn’t touched by the five batters he faced.

Texas tacked on an insurance run in the ninth thanks to another Cardinals error, their fourth of the game. Texas only left seven on base Monday, compared to 12 in Saturday’s loss, as the Longhorns took advantage of Louisville’s mistakes.

With the win, Texas survives to see another game and will face the loser of tonight’s Vanderbilt vs. UC Irvine contest to try to keep their season alive. First pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday night.