Celebrate the Fourth of July like a local

2014-06-29_Fireworks_Stand_Mengwen
Mengwen Cao

Citizens of the United States know the story of how the American Revolution resulted in the country’s independence from Great Britain — or they at least know how to Google it. On July 4, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was ratified and signed by 56 men in powdered wigs, four of those men being John Hancock, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. 

Over 230 years later, we celebrate that day with the most patriotic customs known to man — donning the American flag on cakes, dogs and faces, playing with highly dangerous explosives and consuming inhuman amounts of mystery meat in hot dog eating competitions.

This year’s festivities in Austin are no exception. The Daily Texan made a list of the most patriotic ways you can spend your Independence Day weekend without leaving the city. 

Baby You’re a Firework – Yoga with Create a Gogo
Need to de-stress from this week? Start your weekend off with Create a Gogo for a free Forth of July yoga session.
Location: Soma Vida (1210 Rosewood Ave)
Time: 10 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Cost: Free

Corn Dog Eating Contest at Black Sheep Lodge
There is nothing more patriotic than eating a digusting amount of corn dogs to save a shelter full of dogs. At Black Sheep Lodge’s fourth annual 4th of July Corn Dog Eating contest, all entry fees and a portion of the sales made during the event will benefit Austin Pets Alive. All competitors get a commemorative tee and the chance to win the $250 cash prize.
Location: 2108 S Lamar Blvd
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Cost: $20

512 Festival sponsored by (512) Brewing Company
This festival brings together a solid collection of local music, artisans and brews. Catch performances from local acts including Whisky Shivers, Alpha Rev and the Rocketboys. All ages are welcome.
Location: The Backyard (13801 Bee Cave Parkway)
Time: July 4 and 5, 4pm – Midnight
Cost: $25 one day, $40 both days

H-E-B Austin Symphony 38th Annual July 4th Concert and Fireworks
Though Auditorium Shores is under construction, the Austin tradition continues at Circuit of the Americas. Enjoy local food and vendors, attractions, music from the Austin Symphony (8:30 p.m.) and fireworks (9:00 p.m.).  
Location: Circuit of the Americas (9201 Circuit of the Americas Blvd.)
Time: 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Cost: Free

July Fourth Frontier Days Celebration in Round Rock
If you’re looking to avoid the traffic at Circuit of the Americas but still want to catch some fireworks, the celebration in Round Rock is a friendly alternative. Just 30 minutes north on IH-35, the festivities include local vendors, inflatables, free watermelon and pig races. Catch performances by the Round Rock Ballet Folklorico and the Austin Symphonic Band, a fireworks show and a showing of Despicable Me 2 after.
Location: Old Settlers Park (3300 E Palm Valley Blvd, Round Rock)
Time: Noon – 11 p.m.
Cost: Free