Longhorn Notebook: Augie Garrido gets two-year extension

2014-03-25_Texas_State_vs_Texas_Jonathan
Jonathan Garza

The Longhorns head baseball coach Augie Garrido, the winningest coach in NCAA history, will be staying in Austin at least a little while longer.

Texas athletic director Steve Patterson announced July 1that Garrido has received a two-year contract extension that will keep him under contract through the 2017 season.

“We’re pleased with the great postseason run the team had this year,” Patterson said. “We’re excited to have Augie around for another three years to try and win more National Championships.”

Garrido has guided the Longhorns to 14 NCAA Tournaments, eight College World Series appearances and two National Championships since taking over the program prior to the 1997 season.

In 2014, Garrido led Texas to a 46-21 record as the Longhorns fell one win short of making the championship series, losing to Vanderbilt in the College World Series.

“We as coaches and our support staff are all excited to have the opportunity to continue to help develop the baseball and life skills of the current players and incoming recruits at the University of Texas,” Garrido said.

Parker French to return for 2015 season

After weighing his options, Texas pitcher Parker French has decided to return for his senior season with the Longhorns. 

French, a Dripping Springs native, served as the team’s Friday starter during the 2014 season, posting a 7-5 record with a 2.41 ERA. French declined  his professional contract after he was selected by the Detroit Tigers in the 19th round of the MLB Draft.

“I would like to thank the Detroit Tigers for the opportunity to play professional baseball,” French tweeted. “But I have some unfinished business left in Austin.”

French was a major contributing factor for the Longhorns on their trip to the College World Series. He helped Texas defeat the Houston Cougars in the Super Regionals, tossing a six-inning shutout. French also led Texas to a win against Louisville in this year’s College World Series.

“Now it’s time to focus on Omaha 2015,” French said.

Tres Barrera wins College Home Run Derby

Texas freshman catcher Tres Barrera won the 2014 College Home Run Derby championship Thursday, hitting a total of 41 homers over the course of the three round contest at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha.

Barrera had his father pitch to him in the event and the family duo teamed up to produce 25 home runs in the final round to earn the win.

“I just got in a groove and went from there,” Barrera said. “My dad was throwing strikes right where I liked them and I took good hacks.”

Barrera’s 25 homers kept him well clear of his high school teammate and fellow Mission, Texas native, Eric Gutierrez of Texas Tech, who finished second in the derby, with 18 home runs in the final round.