Column: Texans should deal Johnson

All good things must come to an end, and it seems as if the Texans might be saying goodbye to possible Hall of Famer Andre Johnson. The 12-year veteran out of Miami has been through all the ups and downs of the Houston Texans and his patience appears to have finally run out.

The Texans were a popular pick as an early season Super Bowl contender last season. But after pulling out victories in their first two games, the Texans lost 14 consecutive games to finish the season 2-14. It is clear that those Super Bowl aspirations were quickly washed away.

Now, coming off a season in which they posted the worst record in the league, it is safe to say the Texans are in full rebuilding mode. Nobody around the franchise has a Super Bowl on their mind.

Which brings us to the crossroads between the Texans and Andre Johnson. Johnson is almost certainly the been franchise’s best player of all-time. However, the aging Johnson has no intention of being a part of the franchise’s rebuilding process that could send him into retirement.

At the age of 33 and heading into his 12th season in the league, Johnson’s body may only have two good years left. He wants to contend for a Super Bowl and at this point, the Texans should grant his trade request. Houston can dissect it any which way, but a Super Bowl is very unlikely in their near future. There is nothing appealing to keep Johnson a Texan at this point and Houston should realize that and give the man what he desrves.

Johnson has given so much to this franchise and city, both on and off the field. Now it's time the franchise does him the justice of trading him to a Super Bowl contender. It won’t be hard finding a suitor for a star wide receiver who is an asset in the locker room as well. Overall, Johnson had a great run with the Texans, but its time to let go.