Parsons joins Mavs after Rockets choose to part ways

Now that the Rockets haven chosen not to retain forward Chandler Parsons, the restricted free agent is officially heading to Dallas.

The Mavericks offered Parsons a three-year, $46 million contract last week, but due to his restricted free agent status, the Rockets had until the end of Sunday to match the offer.

While uncertainty reigned between LeBron James and the Miami Heat, Houston was hoping to land Miami forward Chris Bosh by offering him a max contract. In an attempt to land another superstar alongside Bosh, the Rockets added more cap room by trading Jeremy Lin and a future first round draft pick to the Los Angeles Lakers. But Houston failed to make a major free agency splash, after Bosh decided to remain in Miami and Parsons agreed to terms with Dallas.

Upon striking out on Bosh, the Rockets signed forward Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32 million contract. Although they maintained the cap-space to resign Parsons, they ultimately decided not to, sending him to Dallas.

Mavericks head coach Rick Carlisle was very optimistic about Parson’s role on the team and his potential to fill multiple positions.
"I think he can play the 3, 4, 1 and 2,” Carlisle said. "He can do a lot of different things. He can facilitate, he can drive it, he can shoot it and he and he can defend a lot of different positions. It's a really good fit for us."

Parsons is sure to bring energy to the rivalry between the Mavericks and Rockets in the Southwest Division after taking offense to the way Houston has handled its free agency this summer.
“They publicly said that they were going out looking for a third star when I thought they had one right in front of them,” Parsons told Yahoo Sports.

Parsons had a breakout season with the Rockets last year, averaging 16.6 points per game in the regular season and 19.3 in the playoffs. He has increased his contributions and minutes every year during his first three seasons in the NBA, all with the Rockets. His career averages include 34.5 minutes per game, 47.3% from the field, 37% from behind the 3-point-line, and a 74.2% from the free throw line. To put his statistics into perspective, star Maverick forward Dirk Nowitzki averaged 31.3 minutes per game, 44.6% from the field, 32.4% from the 3-point line, and 81.3% from the free throw line in his first three seasons.