Upcoming album releases for the rest of 2014

August was filled with strange and exciting album release announcements. From Aphex Twin’s weird blimp over London to Taylor Swift’s Yahoo live stream atop the Empire State Building, several artists have given music lovers something to look forward for the rest of the year. The Daily Texan made a list of some highly anticipated, end-of-the-year releases from around the musical spectrum. 

Karen O, Crush Songs 

After appearing on her own and receiving an Oscar nomination for her work on Spike Jonze’s “Her” soundtrack, the boisterous lead singer from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is releasing her first solo album. Aside from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Karen O also composed the soundtrack to “Where The Wild Things Are,” although the album is credited to Karen O And The Kids. A note about the album on the singer’s website says she crushed a lot when she was 27, and the tracks on Crush Songs are “the soundtrack to what was an ever continuing love crusade.” 

Sept. 9, Cult Records

Alt-J, This Is All Yours 

The three-piece alternative band from the UK achieved critical acclaim right away after winning the prestigious Mercury Music Prize for their debut album, An Awesome Wave. Mixing elements from folk and electronic music, alt-J makes music essentially perfect for trying to find your new identity after moving away to college. The first two singles released from This Is All Yours are “Every Other Freckle” and “Hunger Of The Pine,” which features a sample from Miley Cyrus’ 2013 song, “4×4.” 

Sept. 22, Infectious Music

Aphex Twin, Syro

On Aug. 16, a strange green blimp with Aphex Twin’s logo and “2014” written on the side was flying over the Oval Space in London. The logo also started appearing in New York City around the same time. A few days later, the British electronic musician announced a new album via Tor, a deep-web browser. Syro is the first release since 2001’s Drukqs. The track list for the album is mostly weird computer gibberish, and — in true Aphex Twin fashion — the cover artwork is kind of terrifying.

Sept. 23, Warp Records

Julian Casablancas + The Voidz, Tyranny 

The nasally lead singer from The Strokes releases the debut album from his newest side project, Julian Casablancas + The Voidz. Material from the new album appears in a promotional video on YouTube and in a weird video interview that looks like it was filmed on an old VHS camcorder. The band started touring together earlier in August and will play a show at Emo’s on Oct. 30. Tyranny is available for pre-order on the Cult Records website
for $3.87.

Sept. 23, Cult Records

Perfume Genius, Too Bright 

Put Your Back N 2 It, the 2012 release from Perfume Genius, is a smart, reflective look at the treatment of homosexuals, but it’s also so sad and fragile sounding that it’s hard to listen for too long. Mike Hadreas is back with a third album that already feels less wounded and more like a strong, aggressive declarative statement. The first single, “Queen,” is the loudest Hadreas has been yet and it comes with an incredible, chaotic music video.

Sept. 23, Matador Records

Taylor Swift, 1989 

In a fashion almost as cool as Beyonce’s surprise album drop last December, Taylor Swift debuted a new single and music video — and announced a release date for her newest album — on a Yahoo live stream earlier this month from the top of the Empire State Building. Already lauded as the perfect pop song by music critics, “Shake It Off” comes with a music video of Swift mostly looking crazy in front of professional dancers. Swift considers 1989 to be her official departure from the country genre into the pop genre. 

Oct. 27, Big
Machine Records