Big 12 Notebook: QB Walsh out for OSU

Oklahoma State will have to go to plan B at the quarterback position for a good portion of the season. According to Sam Mayes of 107.7 FM in Oklahoma City, redshirt junior quarterback J.W. Walsh will miss six to eight weeks after suffering a broken foot in the Cowboys’ win over Missouri State on Saturday. Walsh went down in the first quarter of the game and returned from the locker room with crutches. With Walsh out, redshirt junior Daxx Garman will be charged with leading an OSU team that had momentum despite a close season-opening loss to Florida State. Garman, a transfer from Arizona, threw for 244 yards and two touchdowns after Walsh went down last week.

Big 12 reprimands replay official

The replay official in this past Saturday’s game between Kansas State and Iowa State will serve a one-game suspension, following a missed video review, the conference announced Sunday. During the first conference game of the year, Kansas State completed a pass just short of the end zone late in the first half, which the conference said should have been reviewed. However, the next play went off without a review. Although video evidence was still inconclusive, the Big 12 said the replay official should have stopped play to review the catch. Kansas State went on to win 32-28.

Oklahoma court upholds Frank Shannon suspension

Oklahoma junior linebacker Frank Shannon will remain suspended for the year, the Oklahoma State Supreme Court ruled Monday. Shannon, who allegedly sexually assaulted a female student in January, had received a stay from the suspension from the Cleveland County District Court. However, the state’s supreme court ruled the district judge did not have the authority to issue the stay. Shannon was suspended by the University for a year, following a long investigation, but was not prosecuted in court. Shannon is one of three Sooners to have been suspended for the year.

Russell, Waters split Big 12 honor

After leading their teams to big wins, Baylor quarterback Seth Russell and Kansas State signal-caller Jake Waters were named Big 12 Co-Offensive Players of the Week. Russell, a redshirt sophomore starting in place of the injured redshirt senior Bryce Petty, tied the Baylor record with six touchdown passes and threw for 438 yards in the win over Northwestern State. Waters led the Wildcats to a 15-point comeback on the road against Iowa State. In addition to his 239 passing yards, the senior ran for 138 yards and two touchdowns, including the game-winning score with 90 seconds left in the game. The comeback was the program’s largest road comeback since 2010. Kansas fifth-year cornerback Dexter McDonald was named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week and Jarvis West, Iowa State redshirt senior wide receiver, was named Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week.