Players to Watch: UCLA

QB Brett Hundley

Now in his third year as a starter, Hundley has been frequently mentioned as a Heisman candidate and a potential first-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. Hundley lived up to the hype for the most part in his first two games, passing for 638 yards and three touchdowns en route to a 148.7 passer rating. What should scare the Longhorns most, however, is his ability to run. Hundley has rushed for 1,168 yards and 21 touchdowns in his career, and after watching BYU junior quarterback Taysom Hill torch the Texas defense last week, he has to be excited about the opportunity to improve on those numbers.

RB Paul Perkins

Coming off an impressive freshman campaign when he rushed for 573 yards and six touchdowns, Perkins should receive the majority of the carries this season for UCLA. He’s off to a fast start this year, rushing for 189 yards and two touchdowns in his first two games. Aside from Hundley, Perkins appears to be the one constant for the Bruins’ offense. He’s not much of a big-play guy, but he is extremely steady. After averaging 4.3 yards per carry last season, he’s boosted that average to 4.6 yards per attempt this season.

LB Eric Kendricks

Kendricks is off to a torrid start in 2014, racking up 26 tackles through the first two games. He’s also forced a fumble, recorded a tackle for loss and returned an interception 37 yards for a touchdown. The 6-foot-1, 230-pound Kendricks possesses the ideal size for a linebacker, and he’s built a reputation as a player able to make an impact against the run and the pass. Kendricks led the Bruins with 106 tackles last season, a total he could shatter this year if he continues to play the way he has so far.

DB Ishmael Adams

Adams is one of the most versatile players on the Bruins’ roster as he plays a major role on both defense and special teams. The junior established himself as a playmaker in the secondary in the Bruins’ first two games as he’s already returned an interception for a touchdown, broken up a pass and recorded 11 tackles. He’s even more dangerous, however, as a returner, averaging 20.7 yards on kickoff returns and 11.5 yards on punts in 2014. Adams is only 5-foot-8 and 185 pounds, but, despite his small stature, he’s been one of the Bruins’ biggest impact players in 2014.