Tough competition awaits Longhorns at USF Invitational

2014-09-07_Longhorns_vs_Montana_Jonathan
Jonathan Garza

The women’s soccer team (4-0-2) will continue its trend of playing at America’s finest beach towns this weekend at the USF Soccer Classic in Tampa, Florida. The Longhorns will take on two tough opponents — Central Florida (3-2-0) at 3:30 p.m. Friday and South Florida (3-2-1) at 10:30 a.m. Sunday.

Texas has gone all over the U.S. so far this season, beginning with a trip to Hawaii, defeating Texas A&M-Corpus Christi last weekend and going to southern Florida this weekend. 

“We’ve played — I’m not even sure how many — different conferences in different time zones,” head coach Angela Kelly said. “We’re here to put Texas on the map.”

The Longhorns have serious business to take care of this weekend, which will cut into any potential beach time. Central Florida was ranked No. 17 last week with its only loss coming against No. 12 Texas A&M, but a 1-0 loss to an unranked Georgia team Sunday dropped the Knights out of the top 25.

South Florida was shut out twice in its first three games of the season, but the Bulls have rebounded since then and are in the midst of a three game-winning streak.

Texas should have no problem facing the challenge. The Longhorns are undefeated through six games for just the second time in program history, and their offense has gotten a huge boost from one of its newcomers.

Freshman forward Olivia Brook has been the focal point of the Longhorn attack and recently became the first freshman in program history to score five goals in the first five matches of her career. The attacker’s efforts earned her the title of Big 12 Conference Newcomer of the Week.

“She’s been terrific for our program at the beginning of her freshman year,” Kelly said. “She’s a sponge tactically, is always well-prepared and is the epitome of hard work through demonstrating 100 percent effort in training and preparation each day.”