Weekend previews

Men's golf

The No. 4 men’s golf team opens its season this weekend at the Olympia Fields Country Club/Fighting Illini Invitational after a runner-up finish at the event last year.   

Coming off a stellar season and conference championship last year, the Longhorns look to continue the winning tradition with the addition of three new freshmen to the starting lineup. Freshmen Taylor Funk, Doug Ghim and Scottie Scheffler will make collegiate debuts for Texas this weekend.  

Senior Brax McCarthy and sophomore Gavin Hall round out the Longhorn team for the Invitational. The Longhorns will compete against some of the toughest teams in the nation, including conference rivals No. 1 Oklahoma State — which is tied with Alabama — No. 11 Oklahoma and Baylor. A total of 10 ranked teams, including No. 1 Alabama, No. 6 Illinois and No. 7 Stanford, will also be in included. 

Men's tennis

While the Longhorns will start competition this weekend at the Racquet Club Collegiate Invitational in Midland, their top singles player — two-time All-American
senior Søren Hess-Olesen — will be in his home country of Denmark for the Davis Cup.

Hess-Olesen, ranked No. 5 in singles, advanced to the finals of the invitational the past two years. Without Hess-Olesen, senior Jacoby Lewis will lead Texas in the tournament. The three other Longhorns competing — Brown University junior transfer Michael Riechmann, redshirt freshman William Jou and freshman John Mee — are making their Texas debuts.

Women's tennis

The women’s tennis team, under interim head coach Darija Klaic, will begin the fall season at the Under Armour Kick Off on Friday in Waco. 

Texas will return five of its six regular starters from last season, including two-time All-American and defending Big 12 Player of the Year junior Breaunna Addison. Addison was ranked No. 13 in the preseason ITA national rankings, along with No. 81 sophomore Ratnika Batra and No. 112 sophomore Neda Koprcina. 

Sophomore Pippa Horn, senior Lina Padegimaite, senior Annat Rabinovich and junior Lana Groenvynck also return alongside freshman newcomers Ryann Foster and Danielle Wagland.

Players from host Baylor, Texas A&M, Alabama and USC will also compete in the doubles and singles tournaments, which run Friday afternoon through Sunday. 

Klaic will be making her head coaching debut after nine years as an assistant under Patty Fendick-McCain, who announced her retirement in June.