Games to Watch: Week Three

No. 6 Georgia vs. No. 24 South Carolina

Bryant-Denny Stadium

Saturday, 2:30 PM

TV: CBS

This is far and away the game to watch Saturday. Yes, South Carolina got embarrassed on its home turf by Texas A&M to begin the season, and the defense is still learning how to play without star defensive lineman Jadeveon Clowney, but the Gamecocks were ranked so highly for a reason. Meanwhile, Georgia is easily the favorite to win the SEC East and contend for a berth in the College Football Playoff. Junior running back Todd Gurley had a monster week one, with 198 rushing yards and three touchdowns on only 15 carries. The Bulldogs appear to have the upper hand but with the Gamecocks looking to defend their turf, this one should be good.

Tennessee vs. No. 4 Oklahoma

Memorial Stadium

Saturday, 7:00 PM

TV: ABC

Tennessee has really struggled the past seven seasons in the SEC East. Since the departure of longtime head coach Phillip Fulmer, the Volunteers have had four coaches in the past six years, but they look to be headed for a turnaround under head coach Butch Jones. Tennessee is a young team but will rely on the play of senior linebacker A.J. Johnson and freshman running back Jalen Hurd. Going into Norman, Oklahoma, will be very tough for the inexperienced Vols — Oklahoma is a favorite for the Big 12 title and for a spot in the playoffs. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Trevor Knight has the Sooners rolling on offense, where they struggled some last year. However, an off-game could quickly put Stoops and Co. on upset alert Saturday night.

No. 21 Louisville vs Virginia

Scott Stadium

Saturday, 11:30 AM

TV: N/A

On paper, it seems this isn’t really much of a matchup. Louisville has done quite well since Charlie Strong left, and Virginia hasn’t done much of anything in recent memory. But it is being played in Charlottesville, Virginia, and the Cavaliers have some fight in them. The Cardinals have steamrolled each of their first two opponents this season by a combined score of 97-34, and new head coach Bobby Petrino’s offense has averaged 470 yards per game. But the Cavaliers did give UCLA a fit in the first game of the season. It will be up to the Virginia defense to keep the Cavaliers in this game.

Louisiana-Lafayette vs. No. 14 Ole Miss

Vaught-Hemingway Stadium

Saturday, 3:00 PM

TV: SEC Network

It’s a tell-tale sign of how bad a week of the season it is when this matchup is a game to watch. Despite however bad this showdown might seem, it could turn out to be an old-fashioned battle in the Deep South. Louisiana-Lafayette is coming off three-straight bowl wins for the first time in school history. This year will likely be tougher for the Ragin’ Cajuns, especially after last week’s 48-20 loss to Louisiana Tech. Ole Miss, on the other hand, has aspirations of playing a part in deciding who comes out of the SEC West and has an outside chance at making the College Football Playoff. If nothing else, this sets up as a stereotypical trap game for the Rebels.