Scenarios: Week 3

Texas Wins…

—If the running game is more effective and is able to spark an otherwise inexperienced offense. The running backs, senior Malcolm Brown and junior Johnathan Gray, will need to rush for more than a combined 75 yards if the Longhorns want to pull off the upset.

—If the offensive line improves over last week’s performance. Brown and Gray won’t be able to run the ball if the offensive line doesn’t improve from last Saturday’s beatdown, a tough task against the Bruins’ stout defensive line. If the offensive line finds a way to open up running lanes for the running backs, Texas has a puncher’s chance.

—If Shawn Watson, play-caller and quarterbacks coach, opens up the playbook for sophomore quarterback Tyrone Swoopes. The offense will need to be opened up and Swoopes will have to be throw the deep ball. Texas will need an offensive spark to shock the Bruins, which could come off of a Swoopes deep pass.

—If the defense can sustain its first-half performance against BYU for the entire contest. Defensively, Texas needs to come out with the same fervor it had during the first 30 minutes. The defense has the ability to keep the Longhorns in a game as long as it is fresh. 

—If the offense can sustain drives and give the defense a chance to rest on the sidelines.

Texas Loses…

—If the offensive line continues to struggle, which can lead to a poor running attack. The Longhorns rely on a good running game and without one Saturday, they won’t have a chance. 

—If Texas can’t hold onto the ball. If the Longhorns continue to struggle with ball security and turn the ball over, UCLA will win.

—If the defense isn’t able to stay fresh against the Bruins. UCLA’s offensive attack moves quickly and plays with a lot of tempo, so the Bruins will be able to take over the game, as BYU did, if Texas’ offense can’t sustain drives.