Stock Up, Stock Down: Week 3

Stock up: John Harris

His big week one was not a fluke. Senior wide receiver John Harris is still getting the majority of looks on offense, as he reeled in eight catches against BYU after catching seven against North Texas. He has also been able to find the end zone in both games, proving to be a red zone threat and one of the only bright spots for the offense so far.

Stock Down: Tyrone Swoopes

What stood out most in sophomore Tyrone Swoopes’ first career start was the lack of confidence the coaching staff seemed to have in him. Nearly every play call was a short pass as the coaches didn’t seem to trust his arm on deep routes. This resulted in just 176 yards despite 20 completions. In addition, Swoopes was never able to get comfortable on the move. Remember all of the comparisons to Vince Young’s athleticism? Well, he rushed for seven yards on seven carries. That’s not even former quarterback Garrett Gilbert territory. So, if his strong arm and his legs are supposed to be his best assets, head coach Charlie Strong may need to look to true freshman Jerrod Heard.

Stock Up: Quandre Diggs

Despite Texas loading the box against BYU, the secondary held its own — especially senior cornerback Quandre Diggs. The unit held BYU junior quarterback Taysom Hill to just 18-of-27 passing. Diggs recorded his first interception of the season in the effort, further establishing himself as the best cornerback on the team and the leader of the defense.

Stock Down: Malcolm Brown

Without his 16-yard run, running back Malcolm Brown recorded just 12 yards on 11 carries. That’s not nearly what a five-star senior should produce. Brown and junior Johnathan Gray were expected to carry the offense against BYU in redshirt junior quarterback David Ash’s absence, but Brown wasn’t up for the task. Fortunately for him, there aren’t any other options at running back on the roster. He’s going to continue getting touches, and if Texas wants to be competitive in the Big 12, he needs to turn it around.