UT System finalizes UT presidential search committee members

With President William Powers Jr. set to resign June 2015, the UT System announced Monday the full list of members on the search committee to find candidates to replace him.

Headed by Pedro Reyes, the System’s executive vice chancellor for academic affairs, and Larry Faulkner, former president of UT, the committee also consists of regents, alumni, University faculty and student representative Geetika Jerath, president of the Senate of College Councils.

The three faculty members — music professor Martha Hilley, integrative biology professor David Hillis and philosophy professor Ernest Sosa — were voted to be on the committee by other faculty in late August and approved by the regents earlier in September.

All members of the committee will be responsible for helping propose candidates who will succeed Powers as University president. Once the candidates have been selected, the committee will present their recommendations to the regents, who will then make the final decision.

The System also hired Spencer Stuart, an executive search consulting firm, to aid the committee in the search process.

“Finding a new leader who will continue the work of positioning UT-Austin to be America’s top public research university is a priority for the Board of Regents,” said Paul Foster, System Board of Regents chairman, in a statement. “The distinguished individuals who will serve on this advisory committee bring a broad perspective, varied experience and sound judgment to this important selection process. The board is grateful for their willingness to serve and looks forward to receiving their recommendations.”