Stock Up, Stock Down: Week 5

Stock Up: QB Tyone Swoopes

It feels like Swoopes, a sophomore, is on this list for a different reason every week. The coaches have been quick to praise him after both starts while others have been quick to criticize him. Despite the hype that surrounded his strong arm and mobility during all of spring and preseason, those aspects of his game have yet to be seen. However, he was very effective, throwing for 196 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions, against a good UCLA defense and appears to be headed in the right direction. Head coach Charlie Strong keeps saying Swoopes is getting better and better, and, for now, he is right.

Stock Up: WR John Harris

This guy’s stock just keeps going up and up. In his first three seasons, the redshirt senior recorded nine receptions, 190 yards and three touchdowns. He has already matched or eclipsed each of those numbers in just three games this year. Swoopes likes to look his way, connecting with him on 12 passes and even going to Harris on a fourth-and-eight. And with a touchdown catch in every game this season, Harris is bound to keep getting looks from Swoopes.

Stock Down: DE Cedric Reed

Another game without a sack for Reed, who was supposed to take his game to the next level this season after being selected as a preseason All-American. Much was expected out of the six-foot-five-inch senior after his 10 sacks last year, but he hasn’t produced so far this year, notching just 0.5 sacks. Head coach Charlie Strong claims he’s not getting caught up in the numbers, but there is still cause for concern.  Besides his low sack number, he has just one quarterback pressure and one tackle for a loss. 

Stock Down: CB Duke Thomas

Thomas, a junior, got burned for the game-winning touchdown against UCLA. But, that’s not the only reason he is on this list. So far this season, he has no pass deflections or pass breakups, which is especially bad because he’s played nearly every down. He isn’t close to being benched anytime soon, but he doesn’t provide much confidence in man coverage. And with senior cornerback Quandre Diggs covering the other side of the field, opposing teams will look to pick on him more and more, just as UCLA did at the end of the game.