Big 12 Notebook: Weis out as Kansas coach

Interim Kansas head coach Clint Bowen will be tasked with trying to turn the ship around for the Jawhawks, as Charlie Weis was fired after a little more than two years on the job. During his time in Lawrence, Kansas, Weis compiled a 5-22 record — the lowest winning percentage of any coach in Kansas history. While they did have a decent 2-2 record so far this year, the Jawhawks lost both games against tougher FBS teams — Duke and Texas — by a combined score of 64-3. Weis will collect the remaining $7 million on his contract with Kansas while still receiving the reported $19 million from his contract with Notre Dame, where he was fired from in 2009.

Texas Tech QB Webb a game-time Decision

Texas Tech’s sophomore quarterback Davis Webb will be a game-time decision for the Red Raiders against Kansas State, after injuring his non-throwing shoulder against Oklahoma State on Sept. 25. After taking a hard sack in the fourth quarter, Davis appeared to injure his left shoulder. After a visit to the locker room, he seemed ready to come back into the game, but head coach Kliff Kingsbury kept him out. Davis underwent an MRI last Saturday, but the results have not been made public. If Webb is unable to play, freshman Patrick Mahomes will likely get the start. Mahomes was 2-of-5 for 20 yards with a touchdown pass and an interception against Oklahoma State.

Garman, Hicks, Lockett take home Big 12 honors

After a breakout performance against Texas Tech last week, Oklahoma State junior Daxx Garman was named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week for the first time in his collegiate career. Garman was 17-of-31 in the 45-35 win over the Red Raiders and passed for 370 yards, four touchdowns and two interceptions and also added a rushing touchdown. His five total touchdowns were the most scores by a Cowboy quarterback in a Big 12 game since 2011.

Texas senior linebacker Jordan Hicks took home the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week honors after recording 15 tackles, a tackle for loss and an interception in the Longhorns’ 23-0 win over Kansas. Hicks was part of the Texas defense that posted its first road shutout since 2005.

Kansas State senior punt returner Tyler Lockett rounded out the Big 12 awards with the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week honor following his performance in the Wildcats’ win over UTEP. Lockett had 143 punt return yards, including a 58-yard return for a touchdown, putting him second in school history for most single-game punt return yardage. Lockett finished with 256 all-purpose yards in the 58-28 win over the Miners.