Scenarios: Baylor

Texas Wins

… If it is able to contain Baylor’s high-flying offense. It’ll be a difficult task as the Bears average 56.8 points per game, best in the nation. Baylor’s passing offense is ranked fourth in the nation, averaging 401.3 passing yards per game. Baylor also averages 239.8 rushing yards per game. The Longhorn defense will have to put together its best performance of the season to pull off the upset.

… If its offense is able to light up the scoreboard. If the Longhorn defense is unable to stop Baylor, it may be a long day as the Bears love to run up the score. And while the Bears’ offense has been dominant, Texas has struggled offensively. The Longhorns rank 101st in the nation in passing yards, averaging a mere 195 yards per game. Texas has also struggled to run the ball, averaging only 120.5 rushing yards per game. The Longhorns need to find their stride offensively. They have to find a way to establish the run and convert explosive plays if they want to take down the No. 7 team in the country.

… If its special teams provide a spark. Junior kicker Nick Rose has had trouble converting field goals this season. If Rose is perfect, the Longhorns will be in decent position to win the game. Texas will also need its return men to make plays. Whether it’s senior Jaxon Shipley returning punts or junior Marcus Johnson returning kickoffs, Texas needs a big play from one of them.

Texas Loses

… If it doesn’t get to Baylor’s redshirt senior quarterback Bryce Petty. The Bears’ offensive line has not allowed a single sack this season. But the Longhorns have had success rushing the quarterback, ranking eighth in the nation in sacks with 16. If Texas can’t sack Petty, the Longhorns are sure to drop their third game of the season.

… If it allows Baylor to live up to the “Wide Receiver University” moniker. The strength of the Bears’ offense is the wide receiver corps, led by freshman KD Cannon, who has a team-high 519 receiving yards and five touchdowns. Baylor has plenty of receivers to throw the ball to, and, if Texas can’t stop them, it’s going to be a long afternoon.

… If it can’t find the end zone. The Longhorn offense isn’t good enough to keep up with Baylor. Texas needs to find a way to score touchdowns, whether it’s the offense, defense or special teams