Weekend recaps

Soccer downs Iowa State 1-0 in Ames

The women’s soccer team (7-4-2) traded in the 80-degree confines of the 40 Acres for the 45-degree, 30-mph-wind pitch in Ames, Iowa, to play Iowa State (6-8-0).

Despite the conditions, Texas’ offense was still able to maintain enough spark to secure a 1-0 win for its second conference victory.

Junior midfielder Lindsey Meyer put the Longhorns on the board early in the 70th minute. Junior forward Chantale Campbell sent a corner kick to the far post, and it ricocheted off the head of senior defender Brooke Gilbert to Meyer, who tapped the ball into the back of the net.

The Longhorns only managed that one goal, but the offense was clicking all game. Texas outshot its opponent, 24-6.

Head coach Angela Kelly criticized the Longhorn attack last week, but the performance against the Cyclones put her back in high spirits.

“[I] loved our speed of play and the quality of our touches,” Kelly said. “This team is continuing to get better and better.”

Texas will look to improve even more when it takes on Big 12 foe No. 15 Kansas (13-1-0) at 7 p.m. Friday at home.

Men’s tennis recap

The men’s tennis team ended its run at the Saint Francis Health System ITA All-American Championships on Sunday in Tulsa, Oklahoma, as seniors Adrien Berkowicz, Søren Hess-Olesen and Lloyd Glasspool lost in consolation play.

The duo of Hess-Olesen and Glasspool, which advanced to the consolation finals of last year’s tournament, was unable to improve on that finish, falling in the consolation semifinals in a three-set thriller to the fifth-ranked duo of TCU seniors Nick Chappell and Will Stein, 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (12-10).

Berkowicz, who played his way into the main singles draw, lost to 24th-ranked senior Mikelis Libietis of Tennessee, 7-5, 6-3, in the consolation round of 16.

Berkowicz picked up two wins against ranked opponents and accounted for four of the Longhorns’ nine wins this weekend.

The Longhorns will return to action in the USTA/ITA Texas Regional Championship, which will be held in College Station from Oct. 18-21.