Big 12 Power Rankings: Week 7

1. Baylor

The Bears offense looked stoppable against Texas, but, after Oklahoma’s loss to TCU, they regain the top spot. Unlike in past years, they are a complete team. While their offense is still No. 1 in the nation after a shaky week, their defense is something to fear. Baylor has allowed only 12.4 points per game, fifth best in the country.

2. Oklahoma

This Sooner defense isn’t as good as it has been in years past, allowing 35 points per game in their two Big 12 matchups against TCU and West Virginia. After holding on to the top spot on this list and a No. 4 ranking in the nation, Oklahoma fell to an upstart TCU squad. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Trevor Knight isn’t having the big year many were hoping for. His fourth quarter pick-six was the difference. The Sooners should be able to turn it around, but they will need better play from Knight.

3. Kansas State

The Wildcats demolished Texas Tech, shutting down its offense. They forced sophomore quarterback Davis Webb into four interceptions, holding the offensive juggernaut to just 347 total yards. Kansas senior quarterback Jake Waters, who seems to be getting better each week, was incredibly efficient again, tossing four touchdowns while completing 77 percent of his passes. Their only loss was a tight one to Auburn, and that’s not too shabby.

4. TCU

With a shocker against Oklahoma, the Horned Frogs have turned themselves into a contender. Their offense behind junior quarterback Trevone Boykin and junior running back B.J. Catalon is balanced. They are averaging 42.8 points per game, good for No. 12 in the nation. But more impressive — and less surprising — is their defense. Even without the preseason Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, Devonte Fields, the Horned Frogs defense is allowing less than 14 points per game.

5. Oklahoma State

The Cowboys were sloppy in the first half and let a bad Iowa State team hang around. But, nevertheless, they have won four in a row behind an upstart offense. Dax Garman, since taking over in week two, is leading the efficient offense. They will be in the Big 12 race all season, as they don’t face Baylor and Oklahoma until the final two weeks.

6. West Virginia

For the fifth straight game, senior quarterback Clint Trickett threw for over 300 yards. With him at the helm, the Mountaineers won’t be a pushover. But, with a struggling defense on the other side of the ball, not much can be expected from them against tougher competition.

7. Texas

The defense looks great, but the offense does not. Swoopes’ performance against Baylor was abysmal, and the offense failed to get anything going at home. The good news, though, is that head coach Charlie Strong has the defense playing at a high level. They held Baylor senior quarterback Bryce Petty to 111 yards, which is no small feat.

8. Iowa State

They have found themselves hanging around better teams before ultimately falling short. But their ability to hang around is certainly a positive. Sooner, rather than later, they will be able to hang around just long enough to upset one of the teams ranked higher than them.

9. Texas Tech

Sophomore quarterback Davis Webb has thrown six interceptions in his last two games, as teams begin to make life difficult for him. As the only bright spot early on for Texas Tech, Webb’s star is getting dimmer and dimmer. That’s bad news for the conference’s
    worst defense.

10. Kansas

Their offense is really bad. Their defense is pretty bad. Not much is going right for the Jayhawks off the field, either. With two wins already on the season, at least they had something to cheer for — because they may not get another one this year. The good news: just a little over a month until basketball season starts.